Changing what you drink just may be the magic weight loss bullet you've been looking for.
David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding sure think so. But then they did write the book on it: Drink This Not That. They've even gone so far as to claim that you could lose up to 32 pounds in a year just by changing what you drink.
What most people don't know is that it's a lot easier to drink extra calories than to eat it. So you really need to pay attention to what you're sipping on.
Here is a sampling of what their book has to offer. The following are 5 of the worst things to drink, followed by 5 slimming alternatives.
While a cup of hot coffee or a glass of lowfat milk are both great ways to start your day, beware of the smoothie trap. More often than not smoothies are closer to milkshakes than protein shakes.
Worst beverage: Smoothie King Peanut Power Plus Grape (40oz)
- 1,498 calories / 44g fat / 214g sugar
Drink This Instead: Smoothie King High Protein Banana (20oz)
- 322 calories / 9g fat / 23g sugar
A study done at Virginia Polytechnic Institute showed that people who drink 17oz of water before sitting down for a meal ended up eating 9 percent fewer calories. Those calories can really add up over time.
SoBe Green Tea (20oz)
- 240 calories / 0g fat / 61g sugar
Drink This Instead: Honest Tea Organic Honey Green Tea (16oz)
- 74 calories / 0g fat / 18g sugar
When the afternoon rolls around most of us are ready for a pick-me-up. Too often these caffeinated drinks are loaded with waist-expanding calories.
Worst beverage: Starbucks Venti Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha with whipped cream
- 660 calories / 22g fat / 95g sugar
Drink This Instead: Starbucks Venti Caramel Cappuccino
- 170 calories / 6g fat / 18g sugar
There's no good reason to follow up a great workout with a sugar-filled beverage, even if it makes claims for quick recovery and muscle growth. After exercise your body is in need of protein, carbohydrates and potassium, so choose a beverage filled with these three.
Worst beverage: Naked Protein Juice Smoothie (15.2oz)
- 418 calories / 4g fat / 53g sugar
Drink This Instead: Horizon Organic Chocolate Reduced Fat Milk (8oz)
- 180 calories / 5g fat / 27g sugar
There are known benefits to drinking alcohol in moderation (one or two drinks per day) such as raised HDL (good) cholesterol, boost in bloodflow, and improved sugar metabolism. A recent study in the journal BMC Public Health reported that people who have a daily drink were 54 percent less likely to be obese. However, it's called a beer belly for good reason, since many alcoholic beverages are loaded with calories.
Worst beverage: Red Lobster Traditional Lobsterita
- 890 calories / 183g carbohydrates
Drink This Instead: Red Lobster Classic Martini with Gin
- 140 calories / 0g carbohydrates
Recent studies are reporting that most of us drink 21 percent of our daily calories. That adds up to an average of 460 calories each day. It's easy to see how these calories quickly add up into unwanted pounds.
Pay extra attention to what you drink throughout each day. Make it a habit to pass on the calorie-packed drinks and to focus on drinking lots of water.
Remember that small changes to your lifestyle over time will make the difference.
I'm always available to help - call or reply to this email to set up your free consultation.
How would you like to be 50 pounds lighter 12 months from now?
50 pounds comes out to about 3 pants sizes.
Can you image how you would look 3 sizes smaller? You'd look like a whole new, younger person.
It's actually much easier than you think.
I'm not talking about invasive, costly surgery, dangerous pills or potions, or grueling routines.
All it takes is losing one pound each week. One measly pound.
Hang with me for a minute and I will break it down mathematically. A pound is 3,500 calories—spread that over 7 days and you need a 500 calorie deficit each day to lose 1 pound in a week.
Your 500 calorie deficit can be done by a combination of increased calorie exertion (exercise) as well as a decrease in calories consumed (eating less).
Follow these steps:
Here are 7 simple ways to cut 250 calories:
- Drink plain coffee instead of a sweetened holiday coffee drink. Flavored coffee drinks are delicious but filled with way too much sugar. Drop 250 calories (or more) when you stick with plain coffee or tea instead of sugar-filled holiday coffee drinks.
- Just say NO! to the holiday treats. A single slice of fruitcake may seem innocent enough, besides everyone is eating them at the office meeting, why shouldn't you? You know that all those holiday treats are packed with fat and calories. For each tempting treat that you refuse to eat, imagine the 250 calories falling off of your waistline, and smile to yourself.
- Jog for 30 minutes. Want in on a little secret? The hardest part about a simple 30 minute jog is the act of getting your shoes on and walking out the door. It's true.
- Exchange 20 oz of regular soda for water. You know that soda is filled with tons of sugar, so why are you still drinking it? Every time you crave an ice cold cola picture swallowing spoonfuls of white sugar. That's probably the easiest way to weight gain. Stick with water and kiss those extra calories goodbye.
- Swim laps for 30 minutes. If your response to my jogging suggestion was ‘I have bad joints', then you are in luck. Swimming is one of the best aerobic activities you can do, and it is impact-free. When you swim you recruit your entire body, a process which requires lots of energy—AKA calories.
- Eat an apple instead of a cookie. Do you always go for something sweet after dinner? While your first instinct may be to reach for a cookie or a bowl of ice cream, why not consider what nature has to offer? Fruit is sweet, natural and lower in calories than traditional desserts.
- Come give my fitness routine a try. I have the whole calorie-burning equation down to a science, and I'd love nothing more than to help you achieve your fitness goal. My workouts have been known to burn up to 500 calories at a time, so what are you waiting for?
Losing 50 pounds in 12 months is very possible. Simply use the tips above to create your daily 500 calorie deficit and you'll be shedding the weight in no time.
And if you'd rather have me do most of the work for you, then call or email to set up your no obligation consultation.
When you work with me, there's a good chance that those 50 pounds will come falling off in less than 12 months. That wouldn't be so bad, would it?